The occurrence data that is included in the this web page comes
from a database originally maintained by Mike May. More
recently the data has been turned over to Allen Barlow who has
continued to maintain it as the official database of NJ odonate
occurrence. The checklists presented on this web page are
developed from that database and are updated as new material is
published. Other material in the web page is from various sources, such as
Natureserve and the NJ DEP's Natural Heritage Program who supplied
the Global and State rankings for the various species.
More current data on flight seasons by county and region may be gleaned by downloading this Excel spreadsheet created by Mike Hannisian. It looks at records from NJOdes, Odonata Central, and iNaturalist.
Articles and Publications
- Barber, R.D. 1994 Dragonflies and Damselflies
of Cumberland County, New Jersey. Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape
May, NJ. 38 pp.
- Barlow, A.E. 1991. New Observations on the
distribution and behavior of Tachopteryx thoreyi (Hag.) (Anisoptera:
Petaluridae) Notulae Odonatologica 3:131-132
- Barlow, A.E. 1995. On the status of
Cordulegaster erronea Hagen in Selys, 1878 in the state of New
Jersey. ARGIA 7(4): 6-8
- Barlow, A.E. 2000. Additions to the checklist
of Odonata from New Jersey. ARGIA 12(3) 21-25
- Barlow, A.E. 2001 Second Annual Report of the
New Jersey Odonata Survey including a state record and numerous
county records. ARGIA 13(3) 18-22
- Barlow, A.E. 2004 Third Annual Report of the
New Jersey Odonata Survey. ARGIA 15(4) 16-21
- Carle, F.L 189. The endangered
dragonfly fauna of New Jersey,pp 119 - 148 In New Jersey's Rare and
Endangered Plants and Animals, E. Karlin (ed.), 280 pp
- Calvert, P.P. 1893. Catalogue of the Odonata
(dragonflies) of the vicinity of Philadelphia with an introduction
to the study of this group of insects, Transactions of the American
Entomological Society 20:152-272
- Calvert, P.P. 1900. Order Odonata. In Insects
of New Jersey, J.B. Smith (ed.) 27th Annual Report of the
State Board of Agriculture (Suppl) pp. 65-75
- Calvert, P.P. 1903. Additions to the Odonata of
New Jersey, with descriptions of two new species. Entomological News
- Davis, W.T. 1913 Dragonflies of the vicinity
of New York with a description of a new species. Journal of the New
York Entomological Society. 21: 11-29
- Gillespie, J.
1941. Some unusual dragonfly records from New Jersey. Entomological
News 52: 225-226
- May, M.L. 1995. The subgenus Tetragoneuria (Anisoptera:
Corduliidae: Epitheca) in New Jersey. Bulletin of American
Odonatology 2: 63-74
- May, M.L. & Carle, F.L. 1996. An Annotated List
of the Odonata of New Jersey with an appendix on Nomenclature in the
Genus Gomphus. Bulletin of American Odonatology 4(1) : 1-35
- Montgomery, B.E.
1933. Notes on some New Jersey dragonflies. Entomological News 44:
40 - 44
- Soltesz, K. 1992. A Survey of the Damselflies
and Dragonflies of Cape May County, New Jersey. Cape May Bird
Observatory, Cape May, NJ. 54 pp.
Web Pages and Online Sources
- NatureServe Explorer: An online
encyclopedia of life [web application]. 2001. Version 1.6 .
Arlington, Virginia, USA: NatureServe.